Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Blog Post #14


After reading Teaching Our Children Can be A Profession by Joel Klein, I realize that there are many problems with school systems. In the article, Mr. Klein lists several of these issues and some solutions to the problems.

the word problems stricked out soultion under it written in chalk

Problem: Teachers need better training
Solutions:
Better academic training
Recruit from the top third of the graduates
Create a national teacher examination
Require a supervised internship for 1 to 3 years
Problem : Seniority should not exist in the school system and teachers be rewarded based on merit
Solution:
Create merit –based careers ladders and would be promoted based on specialty exams
Establish standards to remove incompetent teachers
Give teachers showing true mastery college graduates as teaching assistants

In my opinion, teachers are held to a higher standard than most professions but often are not respected. Many people think that teaching is an easy profession and that is probably where the problem starts. Mr. Klein makes several good points on how we can work to make teaching more professionalized.

He suggest that teachers get better academic training. I totally agree with him. I think that teaching is something that takes experience to become good at and that students should get more of training before they are set free in their own classroom.
Mr. Klein thinks that employers should recruit the top third of graduates. I agree with this because it would make students to strive better academically. I would not want a doctor advising me if he made C’s just to get through med school. I definitely would not want my children to be taught by someone who skimmed their way through school.

Albert Shanker thinks that we should create a national teacher exam. I disagree with this because anyone can pass a test but still not have the passion to teach. Creating more test does not prove anything. If anything I think more training would help and requiring supervised internship 1 to 3 years would be great.

In the school system, once you’re tenured usually it is impossible to fire you. Klein suggests that instead of rewarding teaches based on seniority, we should reward them based on performance. I do agree with this as well. Just because a teacher is new does not mean he/she cannot perform better than the teacher that has been there for several of year.
Shanker suggests that standards should be in place to remove incompetent teachers. I agree with this because if a teacher is not performing to a certain standard they should be removed. Also, he suggests that teachers who show true mastery should have college graduates serving as teaching assistants. I agree with having teacher assistants but not college graduates. I think that would cause some kind of controversy in the classroom between the two.

Joel Klein and Albert Shanker made great points that can improve teachers. I found this article very interesting especially reading the solutions .It would be wonderful if some of these things actually happens.

 the word problem written in black and white

No comments:

Post a Comment